- Curan & Ahlers
The 10 Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can happen for a number of reasons, but some motorcycle accident causes are more common than others. Here are the 10 most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
1) Driver Error: This is the number one cause of motorcycle accidents and can include things like speeding, running a red light, and driving while impaired.
2) Road Hazards: Potholes, debris in the road, and wet or icy pavement can all cause motorcycle accidents.
3) Vehicle Defects: Malfunctioning brakes or steering can lead to a motorcycle accident.
4) Animal Collisions: Animals like deer can jump out in front of a motorcycle and cause an
5) Inclement Weather: Motorcycles are less stable in bad weather conditions and can easily lose control in rain or snow.
6) Negligence of Other Drivers: Other drivers not paying attention or not seeing a motorcycle can lead to an accident. This is sometimes called motorcycle blindness or inattentional blindness.
7) Motorcycle Defects: Poorly maintained motorcycles or defective parts on a bike can lead to an accident.
8) Lane Splitting or Unsafe Lane Changes: When motorcycles drive between cars in traffic, they're more likely to be involved in an accident.
9) Road Rage: Getting angry with other drivers can lead to dangerous and even deadly motorcycle accidents.
10) Fatigue: Riding a motorcycle when tired can be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, as driving a car while fatigued. If you are drifting off or actually fall asleep, you are much more likely to crash.
Whether you're a new rider or an experienced one, it's important to be aware of the common causes of motorcycle accidents so you can avoid them. If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal options.
At Curan & Ahlers, we've been representing motorcycle accident victims in Westchester County, NY since 1986. Contact the Westchester Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at Curan & Ahlers today for a free case consultation.